Which Customer has a High Sense of Urgency to Buy?
One of the most common questions asked by sales people is: “Which Customer do I spend time with to make a sale?” and the second most common question is – Which Customer has a high sense of urgency to buy? Both questions relate to the same point. How do you recognize if a customer is someone that you should invest your time in order to make a sale?
While there are several additional factors to understand in this situation, there are four triggers to observe. Using questions, you must find out the relationship between the current results and the desired results for each customer. Then based upon this information, you will have the necessary information to decide how much time to spend with each customer.
Okay, here are the four triggers:
- Show Better Results trigger – This customer has current results that are higher than the expected results, yet, believes that improve is still in play. This person is looking for a good business reason plus a personal victory to pull the trigger on a buying decision. You should invest some time with this buyer and show a strong, valid return on investment with the greater results shown by your solution. Spend time with this buyer and the probability of success is good.
- Don’t Rock the Boat trigger – This customer has current results that are higher than ever expected and does not believe there is any way to increase the results or is so happy for the “win fall” of results that the customer does not want to change anything. They are completely satisfied with their current results and will not change anything for fear of losing what they have. This is a totally satisfied buyer and other than marketing and positioning for possible future sales – leave this buyer alone. You can call upon others in this company and see if you can create dissatisfaction with current situation from other sources within the company. Find another target and invest minimal time with this buyer since your probability for success is low.
- The No-Clue trigger – This is a special type of customer. Usually incompetent regarding their position or lacking in skills to determine the actual situation regarding performance and results. This person actually believes that everything is working smoothly – even if you know that it is not! This customer has no clue that they need help and usually refuses to even listen to ideas for improvement. Waste no time with this buyer, as they will not buy anything new. They also are completely satisfied even with poor results.
- I’ve Got a Big Problem trigger – Here is the buyer that you want to focus every available minute with since they know they have a big problem and want it solved – right now. Now assuming that they have the financial strength to pay you – this is best target for immediate results without the hassle. This customer has been confronted either by someone higher in the organization or has come to recognize the true size of an existing issue. Then they are ready to get help – immediate without bids! Show that you can solve their problem and point out how fast you can create a turnaround in results. This is a very high probability of success if you focus on fast results.
Use these four triggers to determine which of your current customers and prospects are in the fourth trigger. Your success rate will improve dramatically. Stop wasting your time with people that have no reason to buy or change their current situation. Remember only two of the four triggers will lead to business success. Focus your time on the customers that relate to the two that will buy. Make your success more predictable by learning to recognize the four triggers and spend more time with the actual buyers.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016