U in Breakthrough equals Urgency
This the tenth part of the twelve part series on learning how to Breakthrough to the Next Level.
U in Breakthrough equals Urgency
The word Urgency is a key word for successful breakthroughs and success in life and business. I have watched some people delay and delay an opportunity until the window of opportunity closes down. A sense of urgency is probably more important today than in years past. Why? Because of the instant access to information and the viral flow of good or bad information.
So what can you do to improve the sense of urgency in your life?
There are several things you can do to insure a sense of urgency and the impact upon your success is very strong. Here are a four suggestions for improving your sense of urgency…
- Know Your Style – I will start here since your behavioral style will heavily influence your decision making and ability to use urgency as an advantage. Certain style patterns play to a sense of urgency and quick decisions. The people who possess this patten are quick, fast decision makers, aggressive and usually launch prior to perfecting their plans. Another style pattern limits the natural flow of urgency as people with this pattern will prefer to study the process, slow down their decision making, look for safety over any risk, and avoid confrontation with others. These people are possessive of information, slow decision makers, laid back, causal and overly patience with them-self and others.
- Know Your Priorities – Your priorities will become your tie-breakers during periods of stress, fast paced environments and even crisis time. When you know what is truly important, decisions can be made that are meaningful to you and your organization. When people have no idea about their performance priorities or are fuzzy about what is important – then a sense of urgency could be misused. Again, the key here is to know what is important and focus all your efforts upon achieving the important. I have seen people misuse their time doing tasks and activities that have zero to little impact upon their important goals and objectives.
- Beware of Perfect – Too often great ideas and breakthrough ideas are lost due to people having to plan – a perfect plan – before launching, executing or taking any form of action. An old friend advised me one day as I was over-planning a project, simply stating – Done is Better than Perfect! What a concept. Create a sense of urgency to launch and get things done. Even if it is off the mark a little, adjustments can be made (unless we are talking a space trip to the Moon or Mars where planning takes on a life or death importance.) to improve the ultimate results.
- Visualize the Outcome – Since over 65% of the population has a high need for visual input into our brains, it will make a clear difference to visualize the outcome(s) you want to achieve. This creates a high level of internal energy and understanding for achieving your results. When you can see the end, the pathway gets clearer for you during the execution. Using all your available tools will make your life more complete and your results will flow to you.
A sense of urgency for breakthroughs is a key component to your success. Too many people are labeled as lazy or unfocused due to a lack of urgency. Be part of the winners who understand the role of urgency in your life. And remember my old friend’s advice – Done is Better than Perfect.
Look around today, what needs to get done? Create a short action plan for its execution and launch. Just getting started is over half the battle regarding the urgency factor. Stay focused and work quickly and your results will flow.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016
Voss Graham is an Organizational Architect with 30+ years of experience designing sustainable business growth for organizations of all sizes.
Creating the Strategic Focus with the Executive Leadership Teams, he uses Systems & Process to ensure the Drivers for Business Growth are Executed at the Highest Levels. Voss is available as a Speaker for your conferences or company meetings – contact him at 901-757-4434 or use the LinkedIn or Facebook direct messages.