Three Reasons They Don’t Buy or Buy-In
Whether you are in sales, managing a project or leading a group of people, there are three reasons why people don’t buy what you’re selling or offering. When you look at these reasons, it is obvious and simple regarding what it will take to get them to buy from you.
Okay, let’s look at the three reasons people don’t buy what you’re selling or offering:
- They Don’t Want it – They simply don’t want what you have to offer at that moment in time. It’s not personal, they are just not buying in because it is not important to them.
- They Don’t Have the Money or Investment in Time and Effort – They simply can’t afford to invest in your offering – be it a sale or a project. In many cases, it is the lack of available time to devote to entering a new project or direction.
- They Don’t Believe You – Now this is the tough one. When people don’t believe you, it shows a total lack of trust. This is the toughest issue to deal with since it feels personal rather than an objective feeling or truth.
So how do you deal with the three reasons listed above? Let’s take each one in more detail:
- They Don’t Want it – In sales, this is a case of no need, no presentation. Walk away from the selling agenda it’s time to place this prospect on a drip marketing campaign. Keep them in play for the longer term – when they do want and need what you offer and you will be top of mind due to the continuing marketing effort. In management, realize that it could be the wrong time to push your project. Other projects must have a higher value or perception of value so back off and just talk to the players, listen to their thoughts and ideas then formula a new plan for the future.
- They Don’t Have the Money – This is more interesting since they may want and need what you have. In this case, the value has not been raised high enough for others to make it happen. When the value of your offer is elevated to levels where they have to have what you are offering – then they will find a way to get it. In management, it’s all about connecting the dots to show how a person wins by choosing to get on your team for a project or task. It becomes a personal win to make it happen – things get done when it’s personal and emotional.
- They Don’t Believe You – Now this one is tougher because it’s all about TRUST – or really the lack of trust. If they trusted you, then belief in you would occur. So, you must do more to make it happen. First, listen to them, learn about their experiences, get their opinions about the topic and explore what is possible. Get them involved in the solution which raises their commitment to take action. Ask a manager or leader, lack of trust usually means a lack of participation with others. A lack of communication is usually the root cause for the distrust. Managers and Leaders need to take time to ask questions of their teams and actually listen with an open mind to their answers. Gain more understanding by asking clarifying questions using the phrase “Help me understand…” at the beginning of a question.
Follow these suggestions and you will be more successful whether you are in sales or leadership. These methods work and have been proven to work over the years. Enjoy.