National Business Etiquette Week is June 7th through 13thCareer success many times hinges on professional etiquette and poise. A variety of behavior and habits encompass business etiquette. This can range from handshakes to conversation style; phone etiquette to casual dress; body language to alcohol at company gatherings; office décor to water cooler gossip. This week we will look at a number of office “do’s and don’ts” in detail. To set the stage we can begin with general business etiquette guidelines.
- Remember to make eye contact when being introduced or speaking to someone
- Always offer a handshake
- Be respectful of people’s personal space
- Pay attention and use modeling (when in Rome…)
- Make a note to remember someone’s name. A sure-fire method to engage your memory is to repeat the person’s name back to them in conversation.
- Be genuinely interested in others
- Exercise caution with alcohol
- Exercise good judgment with your attire
The following two tabs change content below.