Multiplier or Diminisher: Which One Are You? Part 2
Yesterday we looked at the disciplines and behaviors of Multipliers. The alter personality style is the Diminisher. These behavior styles are adapted from the book, “Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter”, by Liz Wiseman and Greg McKeown.
The 5 Basic Disciplines of the Diminishers are:
1. The Empire Builder: Hoards resources and underutilizes talent
2. The Tyrant: Creates a tense environment that suppresses people’s thinking and capability
3. The Know-It-All: Gives directives that showcase how much they know
4. The Decision Maker: Makes centralized, abrupt decisions that confuse the organization
5. The Micro Manager: Drives results through their personal involvement
The problem with Diminishers is NOT that they don’t get things accomplished. They usually do. It’s just that the people around them feel drained, overworked, and underutilized. This leads to burnout and turnover.
The good news… With a set intention and some work on our thoughts and behaviors, we can all improve our leadership impact with Multiplier Disciplines!