Issues that Cost Executives Promotions and Jobs
I was asked recently, what is the major issue that keeps an executive from getting promoted or even costs them their jobs?
While there can be many factors that lead to a passed promotion – lack of skills or competencies, lack of related experience, etc. – there are really two major issues leading to job failure.
These factors are…
- Rigidity – No flexibility in their position on issues even after lengthy discussion and debate. They offer no support for the group decisions and keep being up their position over and over. They bring up their position on things long after others have moved on and openly campaign to convert others. There are additional inflexibility on issues from strategy to hiring practices to managing their teams that can sour others to the executive.
- Lack of Interpersonal Skills – People who lack the ability to bring normal relationships with others both inside and outside the organization are limited in their upward mobility. In fact, this becomes the number one issue in most cases since the lack of relationships leads to lower performance and productivity by their direct reports and teams due to a lack of understanding or worst – a lack of trust by their team members.
These two factors of rigidity and lack of interpersonal skills lead to more failures by executives and managers than any other causes other than fraud. It is responsibility of the executives and managers to insure their personal development of both flexibility and interpersonal relationships. There are many ways to improve these competences and traits and we have coached several executives and managers to improve these areas – and get promoted.
Call us if you need a personal business coach at 901-757-4434.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016
Voss Graham is an Organizational Architect with 30+ years of experience designing sustainable business growth for organizations of all sizes.
Creating the Strategic Focus with the Executive Leadership Teams, he uses Systems & Process to ensure the Drivers for Business Growth are Executed at the Highest Levels. Voss is available as a Speaker for your conferences or company meetings – contact him at 901-757-4434 or use the LinkedIn or Facebook direct messages.