Is the Recession Coming to a Close?
I ask this question each week as a form of reality check. If I answer with a “huh?”, then I know it is not over. This week I had a different answer, so something must be up – or – over – or – coming to a close.
You see this week my answer contained five signals that things must be improving on the home front and maybe I should begin to prepare for an improved business future. So, what were my signals or triggers that got an answer to my question this week? Here are the five things:
- Sales Activity – as a consulting and training group, we are the first to get cut during any type of downturn and when it starts back up, we usually see sales activities – actual training, training requests and in some cases – purchases of training information. Well, this week all that happened. We sold things, books and ebooks on selling were purchased online, sales coaching is taking place and emails happened asking about our services. Now, this by itself is not a clear indicator, yet, when combined with the next four – well, you decide.
- Google Keyword activity – While working on my Adwords and Keyword research, I noticed a big increase in the number of sales related searches. This includes increases in searches, click throughs and visitors to our sales training sites. Major increase in activity in this category over the previous three months. Good signal here as Sales Management is beginning to gear up for increased activity with their sales teams.
- Spam Activity – Yes, I know this one is corny, but my spam volume has tripled in the past month. The bad guys must think that people are making money, are getting so busy they won’t notice the bogus offers and will click through to their sites!
- Executive Development activity – Yes, this is a clear signal that times are changing. Executives are committing to developmental sessions and specific coaching assignments. They must feel that the good times are about to launch and they need a refresher on getting things done right. This is a good thing.
- Governments Ran out of Money – Now this one is different, yet, think about it. The Government is running out of money for bailouts and buying old gas guzzlers. This can only mean that cash has once again entered the marketplace and things are about to take off. Again, this is a good thing that people have cash – even if they use it to buy a newer car. Kick starting the economy in any form is a good thing.
Okay, there you have the evidence of my self-talk Q and A. You can judge for yourself what you believe will happen over the remaining five months of 2009. I’m voting for improvement in the economic with an uptick in the good times department. May the force be with you too.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016