Core Values: Is Your Strategic Plan Built On Them?
Sadly, many organizations don’t realize the importance that values play in financial success. Values are the building blocks for strong companies that want to retain customers as well as stay in business altogether. One might get by for a few years by skirting the “values” issue, but it will come back to haunt you at some point; with client turnover, employee turnover, or both.
Company values should be identified and named before the mission is stated. The mission statement addresses, “Why we exist.” The vision of the company is built from the mission, and then goals and objectives as well as measurements come from the vision.
Here are 15 of the most often cited Corporate Core Values:
- Customer-Centered Service
- Learning Environment
- Financially Sound/Secure
- Best Practices
- Fulfilling and rewarding employment
- Continuous Improvement
- Community Involvement
- Fun and Engaging culture
- Determine and name your core values
- Develop your mission statement (Why you exist)
- Determine your vision statement (What you want to be)
- Set your goals and objectives
- Utilize measurements for goals and objectives
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor