Can you Afford NOT TO TRAIN Your Top Performers
Every CEO or business owner should know who his or her top performers are. Every department manager and division manager should also know each top performer by name and by types of motivation . Why motivation type? Because we all have intrinsic motivators that make us tick (or not!)
Top performers are often referred to as “A Players” or “high potential employees”. What sets these employees apart from the average employee? They bring to your company:
- Excellent work performance
- Critical expertise and knowledge
- High work ethic
- Integrity in dealing with others
- Leadership and collaboration skills
- Strong business networks and external relationships
- Strong interpersonal skills and Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- An inner drive to succeed
Many organizations have found it necessary to cut training expenses in this troubled economy. Critically reviewing expenses is very smart business. Cutting training expenses for your top performers is not good business! Why? Because your top performers usually work circles around average employees!
Your “A Players” have an inner drive to succeed. When the labor market improves, smart companies will have already established smart initiatives to retain top talent.
Ways to hold Your Top Performers:
- Involve top performers in benchmarking and decision-making.
- Ensure that your recognition programs speak to specific motivators and individual value systems (praise, flex scheduling, monetary rewards, time off incentives, etc.)
- Keep your top performers engaged with meaningful and positively challenging work assignments.
- Instill a sense of collaboration within your company or work units.
- Develop performance plans with your top performers. Make sure they are leading their own individual planning sessions.
- Spend training dollars on your top performers. WARNING: 20% of the typical workforce make 80% of the positive contributions. However, in many training scenarios, more training dollars are spent on low performers. Think about how little sense this makes.
Start planning now on how to retain your top performers. Your investment will show positive returns and you will be glad that you planned ahead!
If you are looking for a comprehensive workshop designed to bring out the best in everyone, then look at the Phoenix Seminar. This has been used by our clients to develop high performing employees in every functional unit of their organization.