Business Dining…. YIKES!
National Business Etiquette WeekFew things in life scare people more than public speaking or eating a meal in a professional setting! The “Corporate Dinner” or “Lunch Interview” frightens people. Below are some guidelines to help make the meal go more smoothly and allow you to make a good impression:
Guide to Business Dining Tips…
- Do not drink alcohol. Even if the other person is drinking, you should abstain. Period.
- Order a menu-item that is relatively easy to eat. No messy finger-foods (aka BBQ RIBS) at the business meal.
- Skip the spaghetti with red sauce if you are wearing a white shirt or blouse.
- If the meal is a formal evening affair, know your eating utensils before you go. Avoid the dinner table confusion of multiple forks and spoons. Know what to expect ahead of time.
- Mind your manners. No talking with food in your mouth. Take small bites so you can swallow quickly if you are asked an important question.
- Have some professional questions in mind to keep the conversation flowing as well as some non-business conversational material to fill uncomfortable periods of silence.
- Always be polite to the waiter. Bad manners are never acceptable, but they are especially not acceptable in a professional setting.
The following two tabs change content below.