I read a great quote attributed to Bob Dylan today and it really has me thinking. Speaking of his wife, he said, “The one thing about her that I always loved was that she was never one of those people who thinks that someone else is the answer to her happiness. Me or anybody else. She had her own built-in happiness.”
We can all incorporate practices into our lives to reach that built-in happiness level. Not all of us will reach that level but if you shoot for it you cannot help but land somewhere close. And at the very least you will land somewhere brighter than where you currently reside. So, what are some habits you can create to improve happiness?
List of Happiness Habits to Ponder
- Set greater Joy/Happiness as a goal
- Reduce time spent with naysayers
- Make certain you receive proper rest and relaxation
- Start each day with extra time. Rise early enough to read something motivational before you begin the rush.
- Smile often. It will lift your spirits and make others wonder what you’re up to. (You smiled, didn’t you?!)
- Foster positive relationships and friendships
- Forgive others
- Forgive yourself
- Watch less television
- Read more good literature
- Read and watch less news
- Reduce clutter
- Do something for others
- Take up a new hobby
- Buy a coloring book and crayons
- Grow something… anything
- Donate used books to the library or charity
- Let others know you care
- Write a letter or send a card. No emails allowed this time.
Start your own list of Happiness Habits today