Benchmark the Job Rather than the People
When reading some new information about our hiring and selection process, I was reminded that when benchmarking performance in the hiring and selection process –
“You Must Benchmark the Job Rather than the People in the Job.”
This is a very important factor for three reasons:
- Legal Foundation – a Job Benchmark takes out any bias and focuses strictly upon the job and the traits necessary for the job to perform at higher levels. If you have benchmarks for all the jobs using the same process and used this tool to compare to a common talent assessment, then you have a legally clean system that can be defended or even thrown out of court for lack of bias.
- Quality of the Current Team – This is tough for some leaders to deal with, yet, it is more common than most would believe. I have experienced this in the review and evaluation of a Fortune 100’s sales team. They were evaluating the sales team for a complete restructure of the sales organization. When we analyzed the data, the evidence showed the quality of the entire team was low (which had contributed to the decline in sales over the past three years) – so a benchmark of their top performers could have established an B or C level benchmark for future selection. This company needed more “A” players to remain in on the playing field of top performing companies. Their brand name was the only thing carrying the majority of the sales teams performance.
- Objectivity – One of the key points for using a job or position benchmark is to eliminate bias or personality from the selection process. It also is the starting point for putting objectivity back in the subjective process of hiring and selection. When there is no check system that uses a proven objective scoring or measurement of traits needed for a job or position to be successful, you will be fooled by people in the interview process.
Does this type of process or system work? Well, yes it does. Our research partner has been following the success of using an assessment based hiring process with the focus on job or position benchmarking. Their data indicates that 92 percent of the people placed in jobs using the patented job benchmark to talent report system are still in their position after a one year. This compares with placement agencies record of 20 to 50 replacement rates.
This improvement in placement and retention rates will have a significant return on investment in your company. If you want to learn about this hiring system, contact Voss Graham at 901-757-4434 and we will discuss how this system can improve your bottom line.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016
Voss Graham is an Organizational Architect with 30+ years of experience designing sustainable business growth for organizations of all sizes.
Creating the Strategic Focus with the Executive Leadership Teams, he uses Systems & Process to ensure the Drivers for Business Growth are Executed at the Highest Levels. Voss is available as a Speaker for your conferences or company meetings – contact him at 901-757-4434 or use the LinkedIn or Facebook direct messages.