Assess Your Talent to Understand Their True Potential
This is the third step of the five part Leadership Development Process. The third step is to Assess Your Identified Talent. The assessment process will provide you with objective data and understanding of your current talent. This includes both the current level of performance and the potential for growth and improvement.
There are four methods of assessing your talent. All four should be utilized for leadership talent assessing. Each method is used for specific information. Here are the four methods for Assessing Your Leadership Talent:
- Interview – This method is used to find out specific answers to a list of predetermined questions related to the potential leader’s accomplishments and personal ambition. Some of the information to undercover includes what workshops or developmental education have they taken? Do they want to move into a higher level of responsibility? Do they want to work more with people than task or develop people more than do the job? Are they comfortable stretching their goals or multi-tasking within important projects?
- Performance Reviews – Here each identified talent’s past and current performance appraisal reviews must be studied. Look for trends of performance, actual improvement in targeted areas, and consistency in high level performance. The key point here is to remember that performance is more important than politics or personality. While it is true that likability is good, consistent high performance that is combined with likability is better. How well a potential leader has been getting things done is a good indicator of future success.
- 360° – Once you have identified key competencies and traits for leadership positions, a specific 360 survey can be administered to the “High Potential Talent” to validate actual competency by others. Their manager, peers, and direct reports can give feedback that can be compared to the individual’s personal assessment of their level of performance. This check system is valuable in aligning perception with reality regarding the level of competency commanded by any individual.
- Personal Talent Assessment -Here is the key to the objective information regarding the personal talent and how their individual traits rank with the position benchmark. Validated assessments can give you very objective information about your current and future leaders. The assessments we provide for our clients identify several types of traits. From the “How” or behavioral traits to the “Why” or their Workplace Motivators (Why they make their decisions or choices) and finally the “Will” or the Personal Skills level. Together these three types of assessments give an excellent overview of the individual. This information is also valuable as a coaching tool.
There you have the four methods to use in assessing the talent potential of your leadership team. Without this type of assessment process you are conducting a personality contest in the selection of qualified leaders.Reduce the risk of selecting the wrong person for critical leadership positions. The key to the long term success of your organization is directly related to the quality of your leadership team. Know exactly what potential talent you have using a proven assessment process.
We have been evaluating and assessing talent for 20 years. Use our experience and expertise to pick the right choice every time to lead your into the future. Call us at 901.757.4434 between 9 and 5 Central Time USA weekdays to discuss how we can set up your assessment system.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016