Are You Making Half-Time Adjustments?
Yes, it is the middle of the year, the beginning of July indicts we have made the middle of the calendar year. Are you making the half-time adjustments to your goals and annual plans?
Just like the best football teams in the country, making half-time adjustments is a key skill that makes great coaches – well, great! If a coach did not adjust to what was happening on the field of play during the halftime, then two things would happen.
- The opponent would make changes in their game plan to take advantages of the weaknesses they found in the first half and exploit these areas to their advantage.
- The team would not be in a position to improve their position in the game.
Okay, so we are not talking about a football game in the middle of the year, however, we should be talking about your goals or your team’s goals (assuming you use a calendar year rather than a fiscal year.). Your personal goals are definitely on a calendar year – so it is time to review your progress.
Here is the process for reviewing your goals using a half-time adjustment review:
- Take a look at the overall picture – are we winning or losing?
- Breakdown the measurables – what is the data telling us?
- What’s working well?
- What’s not working?
- Look for a Cause and Effect relationship regarding the answers to the above questions.
- Rate the percentage of progress on the goals or targets – are close to or exceeding the halfway point?
- Decide what our strategy will be over the second half of the year.
- Calculate the activities necessary to accomplish the goals or hit the targets in the remaining six months.
- Create a 30 day action plan (football coaches plan the first offensive and defensive series for the first minutes of the 3rd quarter)
- Believe in your plan and then go out and execute it to the best of your abilities.
This is what the best or top performers do every year. They review the results of the first half of the year and then plan the execution of the second half to accomplish their goals. You can do this also. Now is the time to break down the current situation, make adjustments to correct your results and then get back on track to win the game – hit your goals.
Now, I have made one major assumption during this entire post – that you had goals for the year. If you did not have any goals written down with action plans to make them happen – then now is the time for setting goals over the second have of the year. Write them down, create action plans and launch your plan.
If you have issues with setting goals or if you have confidence issues in believing that goals can be set and achieved, then call us at 901-757-4434. We have a proven track record of helping people learn how to set and achieve their goals.
Latest posts by Voss Graham (see all)
- Stop Wasting Money on Marketing! - July 10, 2017
- Which Are You Providing – Clarity or Confusion? - November 10, 2016
- Talent Reality Business Simulation introduction video - June 27, 2016
- How to Gain Experience without costing your company - June 22, 2016
- Success is as Easy as 1-2-3 - January 1, 2016